All I Want for Christmas...

by Kira Marys


This story takes place aboard the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E circa 2376, after "Insurrection," before "Nemesis."

     "Captain, vessels are approaching fast!" "Who's are they, Number One?" "Can't tell! They're jamming sensors! Looks like three though, Captain. They're powering up weapons! Captain! They're already on top of us!" "On screen!"
     The bell chimes within the captain's ready room. "Computer freeze audio archive," grumbles Picard. Silence fills the room. The high-pitched voices of the commanding officers formerly assigned to the USS Farragut echo inside his mind. Jean-Luc leans back in his chair and exhales deeply. "Come!"
     The door to his office opens to Commander Deanna Troi. Picard forces a smile. "You don't have to pretend with me Captain," advises the half-Human, half-Betazoid in a warm, straightforward tone.
     Jean-Luc reflexively lowers his defenses. "Right you are Commander. What can I do for you?"
     "Is something troubling you Captain?"
     "I was just reviewing the Battle of Ajilon Prime for the Federation Council's hearing next month."
     Deanna looks into the man's eyes and deliberately pauses before pressing onward: "I feel it's more than that Sir."
     Jean-Luc holds her gaze for a brief moment then swivels toward the window. He rises and walks over to the viewport, folding his arms across his chest, lost in contemplation. "You see these stars Counselor Troi?" he finally asks, gesturing with his hand. "They remind me of snowflakes." Another silence ensues in the course of which Deanna, feeling empathy for the captain, holds back. "It's winter now in La Barre, France. I recall our family reunions with Robert, Marie and..." His voice trails off. His grief betrays him.
     "And your nephew René," finishes Deanna.
     Picard nods, eyes closed, recalling that it was René who called him "nephew" as a pleasantry between the two of them. "He wanted to become an explorer. Now he would have been of age."
     Picard heads for the sofa. "Have a seat Counselor," he offers. Sitting next to her, Jean-Luc bends forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "When I was trapped in the Nexus a few years back, I had this most lucid dream. We were celebrating Christmas." Picard glances at counselor Troi.
     "I've heard about this religious celebration," remarks Deanna.
     Jean-Luc continues: "My family held on to that tradition throughout the ages: the lights, the pine tree, the gifts but most of all, the happiness. So in that dream, I was with my beautiful wife and children, rejoicing around the Christmas tree. A large table had been dressed. René was there with us... Nothing felt more important than this. It didn't feel like a dream really. It felt real. As real as you and I talking together at this very moment." Jean-Luc falls silent once more.
     "And now that we get closer to that holiday..." ventures Deanna in the hope that Jean-Luc will finish the sentence with: "I'd be grateful to have someone in my life, a family of my own". It doesn't quite come out this way though.
     "I'll manage," declares Picard, getting to his feet. "Thank you Counselor. Was there anything I could do for you?"
     "Yes Captain," she replies while standing. "Live out your dreams, it's never too late. Will and I are living proof of that. I wanted you to be the first one to know... We're engaged!"

***

     Some five weeks later, a Starfleet shuttle lands on the Ba'ku homeworld. Picard strolls down the landing platform in civilian clothing, a traveling bag tossed over his shoulder.
     "Welcome back to our world," greets Anij with a shy, genuine smile.
     "It feels good to be back," acknowledges Picard.
     "I'm glad that, since your last visit, it didn't take me another 300 years to see a bald man."
     "Any bald man?" inquires Picard, making the woman's cheeks turn red. "Anij, would you happen to know what an offlander can do around here with 318 days of shore leave?"
     "Why don't I show you?" replies Anij, graciously holding out her hand.
     "I wouldn't want it any other way," confirms Picard, gently squeezing her hand in his.
     "Happy holiday Jean-Luc!"



Anij and Picard