The Costume Ball

by Shaharazod

(a.k.a. Two Wolves)


     The invitation was simple: "Come dressed to scare or be square", it said on an actual replicated parchment invite and handwritten with a flourish. The Ball was going to be held at 2000 hours in Ten Forward, and it wast MANDATORY that everyone be present.
     Captain Picard frowned at himself in the mirror. He detested being a part of these ship wide events. But, they were morale boosters for the crew. Plus, they needed to see their Captain enjoying himself as well. The big mystery was, who was going to be what.
     Picard had thought long and hard and even expressed his frustration to Beverly:
     "I'm going forgo this entire costume nonsense, and attend as myself." he said.
     "Oh no, you can't do that Jean-Luc! That would be so utterly boring!" Beverly exclaimed, as she referred him to The Costume Register.
     Once a crew member had chosen one of the hundreds of costume suggestions anonymously, it would be registered as "taken". A good many ideas were still open. While Beverly closed her eyes and turned her head, Picard scowled and chose one.
     At 2002 hours a properly costumed Picard stepped into Ten Forward and found it crowded, the party in full swing. He looked around at the diverse costumes and felt like he was in another universe. Even Guinan, who was dressed as herself, had worn garb which included tiny colorful lights. . .
     Picard immediately espied Commander Riker, who was dressed as a Pirate. Worf was dressed in an old fashioned tailed black tuxedo, complete with spats, top hat and walking stick. Beverly was dressed as an old fashioned Nurse, all in starched whites with a prim nurse's cap atop her head.
     "Excellent choice, Sir." Riker said as he smiled rakishly.
     "And becoming too." Beverly added.
     "Thank you." Picard replied. "Has anyone seen Data?" he continued.
     "No, I haven't seen him since this morning." Geordi piped up. He was dressed like Bob Marley, complete with fake four foot long dreadlocks.
     "Neither have I." Troi piped up. She was dressed as a Southern Belle, awash in hues of blue, complete with a matching parasol and gloves.
     Suddenly a hooded and caped figure was among them. Gloved hands shoved back the hood revealing Data's powder whitened face, and fake bloody fangs. Despite themselves both Beverly and Troi gasped, while the men stared.
     "I've come to suck your blood!" Data said, with an authentic Transylvania accent. Count Dracula was in the house.
     Captain Picard aka General George Washington did the face palm while everyone else laughed.