Officer at Large - 02

Reflections of Bones

by LCDR Marshall Crockett


     In my continuing quest to learn more about this undiscovered country we call space, I routinely book passage on a variety of freighters, unflagged vessels, and other ships of questionable repute. Over the course of the past month I have taken a number of small jaunts to relatively benign planetoids and even a few desolate moons. I keep telling myself, "it's all about the quest..." But, that never seems to overshadow the fact that I've had a pretty lackluster month.
     During my voyage to Delta Upsilon VI, a small class ‘M' planet that was rumored to have a strange form of indigenous plant life able to survive in water that would, on most other planets, kill all vegetation, I had time to relax and reminisce about some of my more favorite experiences in Starfleet. One such encounter was with the venerable Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy.
     I was actually a young cadet at the academy, two years from graduating and entering the communications field, when I happened to run into Dr. McCoy at an academy function. I had volunteered to emcee a dinner in which the Commandant, Admiral Chamberlain Fuller, was receiving the Distinguished Service Cross from the Starfleet Commander. The program was very interesting, but the best was yet to come.
     From the back of the room, about half way through the ceremony, I noticed a slight man enter. He was in a crimson and black Starfleet Dress uniform and his hair was a sophisticated combination of gray and white. His escort was none other than the Sta rfleet commander. It sure looked like Dr. McCoy...but he wasn't in the program as a presenter OR a guest speaker. As the slideshow continued behind me, I watched...in great anticipation...to see who was advancing toward the stage.
     In short order, my mouth dropped; it was Dr. Leonard McCoy, and he was walking right toward me. The exploits of the crew he was part of and the stories of that historic five-year mission, the experience with the V-ger probe, the near-death experience during his encounter with Khan that resulted in the death of his best friend, the carrying of Spock's katra to the point of near insanity, the travel back in time to save earth from an orbiting probe, the search for Sha-Ka-Ri, and the escape from Rura Penthe in time to save the Khitomer Peace Conference were all required learning. And, there he stood, not more than three feet from me with his hand extended.
     "Leonard McCoy," he said with a wry smile.
     "Well, of course, sir. It is, indeed, a great honor to meet you," I replied while not knowing really what to say!
     Then he leaned toward me and spoke more softly into my ear, "what a dog and pony show this turned out to be." His quip left a smirk on his face that was vintage ‘Bones.' I couldn't help but smile.
     After the ceremony concluded, I was at the lectern gathering my notes and the guests were in the lobby shaking the hand of Admiral Fuller, rubbing shoulders with any and all big-whigs in attendance and hoping for a glimpse of our surprise guest before his departure. I had neither the time, nor the desire, to be part of the crowd. Apparently, neither did Bones.
     "Nice job, son," a voice said from my left. I turned to take a quick look and nod my appreciation when I saw Dr. McCoy standing alongside the stage with his jacket flap opened and a brandy in his hand. "What a time."
     "Yes it was, sir," I said.
     Bones walked over and took a seat on the front of the stage next to me. He set his brandy down and ran two fingers between the green uniform collar and his neck in an effort to 'get more comfortable.' "You know, it was the darndest thing today; helping present a medal to the commandant. I know a lot more people who deserved to be decorated like that but who would probably not even show up for the ceremony."
     "Your former crewmates?" I asked.
     "You got it, sonny." He raised his glass in a one-man toast. "To the crew of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-A. May you have fair winds and following seas." Then, he drank alone. "Take a seat, son," he said to me and patted on the stage to his right.
     The next hour was the best hour of my young life and solidified my desire to be a career Starfleet officer. If I could be half the man he is, I'd be twice the man I am. What an experience.

Until next time... ~mtc.