Fantasies

by Kira Marys


     The ship achieved orbit above the uncharted class M planet. The weary crew needed some R and R and this seemed an ideal place. A survey team was first to beam down. The team leader soon reported back excitedly: "Captain! You're not going to believe..." He didn't finish.
     "Believe what Chakotay?" demanded Janeway apprehensively. "Commander! Do you read me?!" she insisted. "Janeway to Tuvok... Janeway to Paris...B'Elanna?"
     Kathryn Janeway sprang from the captain's chair and closed in on the ops console. "Harry! What's the communications' status?"
     "No sign of interference, no equipment malfunction... Everything's working perfectly fine!"
     "Janeway to transporter room."
     "Lieutenant Ayala here."
     "Do you have a lock on the away team?"
     "Yes Ma'am!"
     "Beam them aboard Lieutenant. Now!"
     "I'm receiving their comm signal Captain but there's no matter stream attached to it, no DNA to store in the pattern buffer."
     "Continue to monitor the signals and beam them up as soon as you can."

***

     "Did you hear that?" asked Tom Paris, attuning to the soft female voices chanting.
     "A Klingon Warrior's Anthem? " wondered B'Elanna Torres.
     "I did not hear anything." declared Tuvok.
     The blond lieutenant avidly followed the melody, strolling barefoot on a sandy path lined with palm trees.
     "Tom wait up! " called B'Elanna as she went after him on the steep rocky road.
     "B'Elanna! Tom!" shouted Chakotay before something held his attention; a tokay gecko clutching to a tree trunk. The commander tapped his com-badge. "Captain! You're not going to believe..."
     He didn't finish his sentence as a humanoid form materialized in front of him.
     "...that my animal guide was waiting for me on this remote planet?" finished Janeway with a grin. "You won't need that anymore." she added before pulling his com-badge.
     "Captain why..."
     "Call me Kathryn." she murmured gleefully as she passed an arm underneath his. "Come. Let's make the most of this rest and recreation interlude."

***

     Tom made it to a beach crowded with Orion women. Upon his arrival, four green-skinned creatures approached him. "Hello ladies!" cheered Tom to the gorgeous party waltzing his way.
     "Hi handsome! We've been waiting for you to complete our volleyball team. Care to join us?"
     "Absolutely!" Acknowledged Tom, widening his smile. The pilot gladly took off his shirt. "B'Elanna, are you going to play?"
     
     "I'm gonna play alright." she growled with clenched teeth, taking off her jacket as a pack of Klingons armed with bat'leths drew near. "qaStaH nuq?" ventured B'Elana, trying to understand what this confrontation was all about.
     "Hab SoSlI' Quch!" insulted a bulky Klingon male.
     "You are so going to regret insulting my mother!" boiled the Half-Klingon, anger twisting her features.
     "Ke'chaw!" pressed a female Klingon tossing B'Elanna a bat'leth.
     "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!" she gnarled before swinging her weapon at her opponent, flamboyantly, ready to die.

***

     "Doctor to Voyager." reported the emergency medical hologram from the planet, his portable holo-emitter having allowedg him to leave the ship for a few hours.
     "Go ahead Doctor." answered Janeway.
     "I've found them Captain. Five to beam to sickbay."
     "Understood. Standard quarantine procedures Doctor. Ensign Kim, you have the con. Take us out of here!"
     "Aye Captain!"

***


     Janeway stormed into sickbay. Inside a force field, the Doctor was treating B'Elanna for multiple cuts and bruises. Tuvok, Chakotay and Paris did not seem injured. "What happened to her?" rasped Kathryn.
     "When I found her", began the EMH, "our brave engineer was fighting a horde of trees with a stick. I had to sedate her for our own good."
     "The trees attacked her?"
     "No Captain." intervened Chakotay. "We were subjected to severe hallucinations."
     "Indeed." agreed Tuvok. "I thought I was on Mount Seleya, meditating in the katric ark."
     "And I was playing volleyball with Orion women." added Tom sheepishly.
     "What about you Chakotay?"
     "It'll be in my report Captain."
     "Could it be that the Iruhe also have roots in the Delta Quadrant?"
     "If it had been the Iruhe Captain", stated Tuvok, "they most probably would have used their powerful telepathic abilities to crash the ship and feed on the crew's neural energy, as they did in the early days of Romulan history."
     "Maybe it was simply something in the air..." suggested Tom.
     "Well, whatever it was, I'm not going back to investigate."

***

     Chakotay stepped into the ready room. "You asked to see me Captain?"
     "Yes...Chakotay... Since I read your report I've been wondering... How did you know that it wasn't me on the planet? And don't tell me that it's a gift from your people!"
     The commander lowered his head with a boyish smile. "I've learned from our New Earth incident, Captain, that you're not an easy woman to seduce."
     Janeway smiled back. "I may not be an easy woman Chakotay, but you may call me Kathryn when we're alone.