Haunt

by H. Diosas


     "Captain's Log, stardate 4826.7. We have found a strange Nebula and Starfleet has asked us to explore it."
     "When I was younger, we would celebrate with candy and costumes, how about you?" Franklin asked Khmer.
     "Hmm..?" He said, coming out of a daydream like state
     "Halloween, Jack. Did you celebrate?"
     "No, Klingons don't have Halloween."
     Franklin sighed, she began to speak, but was interrupted by the Captain.
     "We have entered the Nebula, and if I might say so myself, it is one of the most beautiful and interesting Nebulas I have ever seen. I would highly recommend taking a look yourself. Captain out."
     Franklin and Khmer looked at each other, then made their way to the windows of the mess hall.
     "It is beautiful." Franklin admired, in an awe filled tone.
     "And kind of eerie."
     The room went dark, except for the eerie purple glow coming from the windows.

* * *

     "Andalus to Marlett!"
     "Yes, Captain?"
     "Mind telling me what's happening?"
     "Well, there was a system wide power failure, the only system that is working are life support. I'm guessing its linked to the - what the...?"
     "Commander! What is happening?"
     "Captain, it was a cloud of energy. It formed around the warp core. It was like a ghost."
     Andalus took a deep breath, "We all just need to stay calm--."
     Nez began to scream. She dropped to the floor and patted her arms and her legs, as if there was something on her she was trying to get off. "Nez," the Captain said.
     She walked over to her side and lifted her to her feet. Nez shook her whole body and wrapped her arms around herself. "That was horrifying."
     "What happened?"
     "It was like a million little spiders were crawling on my body at once."
     "Well, umm... Take a deep breath, and try to relax." she said, unsure of the situation. "How do we get main systems back online? Life support is the only system working."
     "If we move the people that we can contact and turn off life support for that area, could we then transfer power from life support to other systems." Marlett suggested.
     Commander Rockwell turned his chair around to face the captain, "If we turned the comm system back on, we could send out a distress signal, the other ship could then use a tractor beam to pull us out of the nebula."
     "We can do that, Captain." Marlett said.
     "Then get to work."

* * *

     "Alright stay - Did it just get colder?"
     "I think so, I can see your breath. It must be close to freezing in here," she paused and looked around the room, "I heard it again." Franklin announced, shivering.
     "The noise?"
     "Yes, it sounds like its coming from the walls." Franklin stood up and walked over to the wall. She placed her hands on it. "Whoa!" she shouted, pulling her hands away from the wall, "It's like ice."
     Khmer stood up, walked over and ran his hands on the wall, his face was lit up by the glow from outside. "The Nebula."
     "What about it?"
     "It's causing the problems."
     "How do you know?"
     "Look at what has happened. We enter the Nebula, power goes out, either we have a faulty system or the Nebula has a capability that scans didn't show before we went in."
     "If we can't leave wh... What is that!" Franklin said, pointing out the window.
     "What?" Khmer turned around. An energy force was coming from the nebula, and heading for the ship. He looked back at Franklin, "I would hold on to something if I were you."

* * *

     "Captain? This is the star ship Ellis responding to a distress signal. We are outside of the nebula. What is the problem."
     Andalus opened her eyes and looked around, the rest of the bridge crew was staring at the view screen as if they were hypnotized, "Star ship Ellis, Captain here, don't enter the nebula, it has caused a total systems failure."
     "Do you need to be towed?"
     Andalus walked over to her first officer, sitting at the science station, and waved her hand in front of his face. He didn't react. "Yes, and fast, something is happening here, my bridge crew needs medical attention immediately."
     "Hold on, Captain."
     The tractor beam from the Ellis extended into the Nebula and wrapped itself around the ship. Andalus sat back down in the Captain's chair and tried to keep her focus, but her mind began to wonder, she starred at the view screen, like the rest of the bridge crew.

* * *

     Andalus opened her eyes, she was in a sick bay. She sat up, various members of her crew were laying in sick bay beds next to her. "What happened?" she asked one of the doctors.
     "The nebula emitted a wave at the frequency at which humanoids hallucinate."
     "That explains the spiders, and the ghosts."
     "Don't forget about the voices." Franklin said, laying on the bed next to her.
     "Well, this is one Halloween we'll never forget."