Origins

by CDRE Jade


     The Captain sat in his ready room, staring at a delicately wrapped package on his lap. It was his birthday and he reflected on his life; a life that began as a 17 year-old enlistee and progressed to the captaincy. He remembered that first assignment aboard the USS Eclipse. He delicately fingered the green ribbon on the present and knew at one time he had been much greener, but not of the sickly kind.
     He was walking through the doors that lead into Sickbay and was shocked to see no one else around.
     "Hello," he called out.
     The only sounds that bid him welcome was some strange squeaks. He looked toward the location of the sound and saw an oversized fur ball sitting on a console. Some sort of stuffed animal or pet?
     "Anyone in here?" he called louder.
     The squeaks became louder and more insistent. He walked over to the strange life form and picked it up. Its squeaks went to an ear piercing tone as it practically jumped out of his hand back onto the console. Maybe I shouldn't touch it.
     "Okay, okay, don't split a hair; you have enough split ends as is. What bozo you talking about?" A feminine voice called out. A woman in a medical blue uniform entered from a conjoining room. She looked directly at him. "Who are you?" she asked rather gruffly.
     "Petty Officer Deklyn Fox, ma'am. I was told to report to the Chief Medical Officer for a physical."
     "Then why you looking at me? He's the one yelling at you."
     Fox looked over at the thing on the console. Its continuing squeaks didn't sound too friendly.
     "That's the Chief Medical Officer?"
     "No, that's Dr. Kenny to you!" the woman stated in a brusque manner.
     "Wha...? I don't..." he gently ushered the Lieutenant out of what he hoped was the hearing range of the small furry doctor. "I don't understand, Miss..."
     "Lieutenant Alvarez to you."
     "Lieutenant, how can he be a doctor? I don't even know what species he is."
     "Oh well, Mister Encyclopedia, you know every species in this galaxy?"
     Fox wasn't sure if Alvarez was just in a bad mood or if the attitude came naturally for her. "No ma'am," he answered sincerely trying to stay on her good side despite the situation.
     "He's a Tribble if you must know and a fine doctor. As long as you don't get on his bad side," she explained as more high toned squeals came from the other side of the room. "Unfortunate for you... it's too late to get on his good side."
     He had never heard of Tribbles before, and he couldn't even begin to understand how the little hill of hair could perform his duties.
     "Well how was I supposed to know... he's not even wearing any... uniform...and I can't understand a word he's saying."
     "His translator is always breaking." She crossed her arms over her chest. "You'll learn his language or regret ever coming aboard this ship. Get sick much?"
     "I am so dead..." Fox pinched the bridge of his nose. Finally he looked up into Alvarez's eyes and pleaded, "How do I apologize to him?"
     Alvarez sighed and her facial expression seemed to soften. "Tell you what Fox, you seem like a nice guy. How about you go back to your quarters do some research on Tribbles and find a way to make nice with the guy. I'll tell him you had some other pressing assignment, but you'll be back latter. I'll do a little chit-chat maybe soften him up for you. Something tells me it'll all work out in the end eh?"
     "Thank you Lieutenant. I'll owe you one."
     The feel of the velvet ribbon lured his thoughts back to the present in his lap. He remembered his research into Tribbles had turned up that he was a victim of a practical joke. Dr. Kenny had turned out to be a sophisticated remote controlled toy that the crew used to 'initiate' new recruits.
     Fox smiled at the memories as he opened up the gift. His heart suddenly decided to sprint a mile as a ball of fur suddenly leaped out and attacked him. He caught his breath and laughed as he realized it was the same toy from all those years ago. A small note accompanied it.
     It read: "Dr. Kenny's revenge has been long overdue. Happy Birthday!" Admiral Alvarez.
     Fox smiled and began to laugh as a thought occurred to him. He laid the Tribble on the chair across his desk and hit his communicator.
     "Ensign Michaels, report to my ready room."
     Dr. Kenny was about to strike again.