The Temporal Puzzle

by H. Diosas


     The captain, science officer and medical officer made up the away team. Exploring the ancient stone ruins, the science officer passed under a narrow arch and vanished into thin air as the other two looked on. Stunned, the captain then placed her hand through the arch, and it had the same effect. The Captain's hand vanished. She pulled her hand back out. "Would it be safe if we went through?"
     Franklin shrugged, "I don't see why not. Besides, we have to bring the Commander back one way or another."
     Andalus sighed and nodded her head. She crouched and passed under the narrow arch, followed by Franklin. The Captain stood up and looked around, the ground was completely covered in vegetation, an exact opposite of the other side of the arch.
     Andalus and Franklin simultaneously flipped out their tri-corders and walked in opposite directions. The Captain hit her combadge, "Andalus to Rockwell! Come in Commander!" There was no answer.
     "Captain, there is some type of unidentifiable radiation that is blocking the com signal."
     Andalus looked up at Franklin, "Will it harm us?"
     "No, it should be fine."
     Andalus nodded and walked forward with her tri-corder, "Commander, I am reading a human life form,"
     Franklin ran over, "In which direction?"
     Andalus raised her hand ,"North, about 10 kilometers."
     Franklin nodded and they proceeded forward. After about a minute or so, they passed through another force field, this time revealing a frozen tundra. Franklin wrapped her arms around herself and shivered.
     Andalus lifted her tri-corder to her face, "I-it is a-about negative t-twenty degrees!"
     "W-we have t-to go b-back!" Franklin yelled over the whistling of the strong winds.
     Andalus shook her head, "No, it isn't much longer until we reach Commander Rockwell!"
     "We c-could die b-before we e-even find h-him!"
     Andalus bit her lip, "Since t-the last e-environment didn't last f-for very l-long, we m-might hit a-another soon!"
     "It i-is a r-risk!"
     "One, I am willing to take!"
     Franklin pursed her lips and followed the Captain forward. They passed through another force field, this time revealing a desert setting. Commander Rockwell was sitting propped up by a rock. "Commander!"
     Rockwell blinked his eyes, Franklin knelt down beside him and scanned him with her tri-corder, "He is severely dehydrated."
     "How could he possibly be this dehydrated in a matter of minutes?"
     "I don't know bu..." Franklin was cut off
     "What?" Rockwell said in a weak voice, "I have been here for hours!"
     Andalus looked at Franklin.
     "It seems to be some sort of temporal anomaly, since hours here feel like minutes in the tundra climate, then minutes there must seem like seconds back in the tropical forest climate, and seconds..."
     "I get the idea, Franklin. I think we had better get back to the ship."
     Franklin and Andalus both carried Rockwell back to the normal planets surface and the Captain hit her combadge, "Three to beam up directly to sickbay."
     "Aye, sir."
     Andalus and Franklin sat Rockwell on the table. Franklin and some nurses began scanning and treating Rockwell.
      Andalus returned to the bridge. Khmer was sitting in the Captain's chair. "Captain, you're back early. It has only been about 5 minutes."
     "Lieutenant, there was some sort of temporal anomaly, I am guessing it is caused naturally by the radiation in the atmosphere or something. There wasn't any technology on the planet."
     Khmer lowered his eyebrows, confused, "Scans didn't show any radiation."
     "Tri-corders picked it up while we were on the planet. Scan again."
     Ensign Razma Nez pressed a few buttons then turned to the Captain, "Scans show radiation but it only just now showed up on scans."
     Andalus snapped her fingers, you could almost see the light bulb turn on in her head. "Because the desert is moving forward by hours, it is ahead of us, it is in the future."
     Then why is each section a different climate?" Khmer asked.
     "Maybe that is the future of the planet."
     "A planet chopped into various times." Marlett said. "Like a jigsaw puzzle, put together the wrong way."
     Andalus smiled.
     "Captain." Franklin's voice boomed over the com system."
     "Yes, Commander?"
     "Commander Rockwell is fully hydrated and ready for duty."
     "Alright, send him down!"
     "Aye, sir!"
     "Helm, set a course!"
     "Course set, sir!"
     "Engage!"