Time Out

by SF Warp


     Young Warp loved traipsing the desert. He'd been a desert rat ever since he saw those UFO's from his back yard in 1957 when he was 15. He trodded the barren terrain by day observing lizards, horned toads, tortoises and the occasional sidewinder. At night, he would lie on his back and gaze at the myriad stars of which the sky was literally ablaze. He favored the desert above all places precisely because of the clarity of the night skies there. Nevertheless, on those occasions he was able to make the trek, he never again saw any opaque discs, or any other signs of extra terrestria for that matter. Still, he ramained undaunted.
     Shortly before he turned twenty-one, Warp finished college. To celebrate, he went to the desert for a three day excursion. Arriving in late afternoon, he camped out in a small canyon. When night fell, he gazed at the starlit sky in utter awe. This night was fortuitous, for he saw three very bright meteorites, about one each hour. He still saw no UFO's, but he took the meteorites as a good sign. He slept well.
     Waking early, he ate some beef jerky, drank a little water, and began his usual slow amble across the desert floor, keenly alert for fauna on the move. Barely ten minutes had passed when he saw it! A glint of...something...something floating just above the ground. The bubble-like apparition was heading straight for him. He stood transfixed as it drew closer and closer. About six feet in diameter, he reached up when it was close enough and gently touched it with his fingertips. A nanosecond later, he was inside...the object was slowly carrying him off...and, for Warp, time ceased.

*  *  *  *  *

     "Admiral Jade, sensors are picking up something unusual."
     "What is it, Commander MacGyver?"
     "It appears to be a void in the space-time continuum. There's something inside...something human!"
     Well, bring it on board, free the human, and send that...that thing on its way!
     Young Warp, soon back on his feet, was full of questions.
     Introductions were made, then commander MacGyver spoke. "You were trapped in a void where space exists without time. That's why you didn't age. You are now in the latter half of the twenty-fourth century. Welcome to Online Starbase!"
     "Wow! I was born on Earth in 1941 and graduated from the universithy in 1963!"
     "We can arrange transport for you back to earth or you can stay. If you stay, you'll become a member of Starfleet and be granted the rank of ensign."
     "I'll stay," Warp exclaimed.
     "A toast," Commander Macgyver pronounced. " Here's to our newest ensign!"
     "Aye," Ensign Warp added, "and to the oldest ensign in Starfleet!"