A Token of Gratitude

by SF Warp


     Chance Munro, recently of the Army of Northern Virginia, boarded his newfound friend, Brack's incredible machine. The machine began to rise and Munro watched in utter awe as the Earth receded beneath him. He'd seen the Earth from observation baloons on the great Civil War battlefield, but to see the Earth fall away so far so quickly was incomprehensible to him. Odder still, there was no sensation of motion. He turned to Brack, "Where are we and where are we going?"
     "We are in outer space and we are going on a tour. You saved my life back there, a life that is very dear to me," Brack said, a smile lighting his face, "so I decided to try to repay you as best I can by showing you things you have never seen."
     "I don't see that I did anything so grand," Munro responded. "I saw that something needed to be done and I did it. That's all."
     "And I am indebted to you." Brack affirmed, speaking from the heart. Then, a broad grin lighting his face, "Next stop..."
     "Next stop where?"
     "Why, the moon of course."
     "Of course! Where else!?"
     They both looked at each for a brief moment, then burst out laughing.
     Less than an hour after leaving the Earth, the moon's face filled the forward view screen. Munro carefully surveyed the image for several minutes, then he spoke. "Amazing! I've seen the craters of the moon through telescopes. It shouldn't surprise me then that there are even smaller craters when seen from up close. The mountains...the great flat expanses...all breathtaking to see!"
     Brack then guided his craft around to the back side of the moon.
     "Holy cow," Munro Exclaimed. "The two sides are so different! The back is just craters...and craters within craters! Unbelievable!"
     "Gives one pause to wonder how, does it not?"
     "Brack, I'm already becomeing indebted to you!"
     "Put this on." Brack handed Munro an encounter suit.
     Within minutes, they had landed in Mare Imbrium and were litreally bounding over the surface. Brack spoke through his com link, "You weigh but a sixth of what you weigh on Earth."
     "This is great fun! I swear, I can almost fly!" Munro was exultant.
     "Come, I will show you something."
     Munro came and stood next to Brack as Brack pointed. Munro then saw the Earth from the moon for the first time. "Oh my," he said pensivey. "I never imagined Earth could be so beautiful! She is truly a sight to behold!"
     "I fell in love with your planet the first time I saw it. I was compelled to visit ever since. But now, let us go. There is so much more to see," Brack effused, "or would you rather I simply return you to Earth?"
     Munro thought for a moment. He remembered something. Then he spoke. "I'll be very happy to go, but there's something I'd like to do first. Can we return to earth for a brief visit?"
     "We can. Why?"
     "I need to do some stocking up."
     "Very well then," Brack agreed.
     Brack and Chance returned to the ship. Brack brought the ship to life and steered it toward Earth. Little did they know then that they had just embarked on the first of many great adventures.