A Story

by Erin O'Connor


Nobody was around OSB...
     "ANYBODY HERE~~~~~~~~~?" The Commander's voice got lost into the void, echoing through the empty corridors of the eerily empty station. She was alone. The sound, broken into various metallic pitches, reverberated on the artificial walls, a mirror of her loneliness. If only she could contact someone, anyone...
     Her chest tightened at the thought of the void surrounding her. The station, an empty object itself, was also lost in the cold vastness of space, its immensity making her feel even smaller, lonelier... Then, a fortuitous thought struck her, a lightning bolt that blinded the Commander for a few moments, where time seemed to stop to let her revel into its magnificence, its sheer existence a testament of how ingenious she could be.
     "LET'S EAT SOME POPCORN!" she yelled at the top of her lungs, and ran to the food replicator with renewed energy, the temporary angst all but pushed back to the deepest recess of her mind.
     Popcorn was awesome. It was light, fluffy, it tinged the lips with its saltiness, and its smell could infiltrate even the smallest nooks and crannies of the vastness surrounding its birthplace. In a way, popcorn was the Commander's friend. It called to all her senses and tickled them; it replaced the gaping hole of everyone's absence in her heart with a warmth in her stomach.