Another Story

by Erin O'Connor


     Lwaxana could see it in their eyes, the eagerness, the curiosity, yet it seemed to be tinged with discomfort, and she could not fathom why. If one was bound to feel uneasy right now, it was her. She could not read the Ferengi's thoughts at all, and that Cardassian... Oh, layers upon layers of complexities, intertwined so tightly she could not decipher their meanings, feeling like a luxurious rug she could sink into so easily...
     A throat being cleared brought her back to reality, and she slowly grazed one finger against her collarbone, conjuring up her most sexy, endearing smile for the audience in front of her.
     "So. What do you think?"
     The words that left her lips felt odd, unfamiliar. Rarely had she spoken them, such a question being so futile on Betazed.
     "Madam..." Garak politely nodded, but he was visibly floundered. Quark threw a sidelong glance at him before speaking up, eyes widened from something she could not decipher.
     "Pardon my asking, Ambassador, but why come all the way to Deep Space Nine for our opinions on this matter?"
     "Quark is right, Madam, I.. uh, am a mere, humble tailor, and I fear I cannot share anything valuable regarding... this."
     "Why, don't you get it? I need words, gentlemen. Words from people whose mind I cannot read, because I want to know exactly how the world will describe me!" she exclaimed as she languidly stepped forward. "Your expertise in this matter is of great importance."
     "How—"
     "You Ferengi dress your women in this matter, no?" she admonished.
     "Why—"
     "And you, Mister Tailor, are an expert in all kinds of body proportions, aren't you?" she patted his chest.
     "But—"
     "Tsk! Shush now, boys. Tell me what you think of my new wedding attire. Now!"
     Lwaxana joyously spun unto herself and grazed her hand in her locks, weaving the curls around her fingers as her other hand caressed her most recent, frivolous acquisition, a glittering necklace from Casperia Prime.
     "I think I need a drink," Quark muttered under his breath.
     "Whatever you will have, please give me double," Garak agreed, unable to take his eyes off the naked Betazoid woman.
     "I'm waiting," the ambassador chirped. Why did people have to make things so arduous all the time?